Healthcare Assistance Program (HAP)
HAP is a program funded by the gross receipts tax and administered by the Board of County Commissioners, in their capacity as the Indigent Hospital and Health Care Board in accordance with the Indigent Hospital Claims Act Sections 27-5-1 thru 27-5-18 NMSA). The program provides financial assistance to medically underserved residents of Santa Fe County for medical costs as defined at Section 27-5-4 NMSA 1978 Comp.
Please call (505)-992-9850 for a list of approved providers.
The Healthcare Assistance program offers financial assistance up to $35,000 per provider for the following services:
In-Patient Hospital Services. Services can be provided outside of Santa Fe County if necessary. Out-of-state hospitals are eligible providers for emergency services only if funds are available.
- Ambulance Services (Non-Profit Providers Only)
- Primary Healthcare (Non-Profit Providers Only
- The following services are covered up to $10,000 per provider :
- Alcohol Rehabilitation Treatment (Non-Profit Providers Only)
- Drug and Substance Abuse Treatment (Non-Profit Providers Only)
- Mental Health Psychiatric Treatment is also covered through non-profit providers only, but limited to 21 days of in-patient treatment, or 42 days of outpatient treatment, or a combination thereof annually
- NOTE: Limits do not apply to services received at St. Vincent Hospital, Espanola Hospital or the Los Alamos Medical Center
Services that are not covered:
- Same-day surgery procedures that are provided by a for-profit provider.
- Medical costs that have been determined by the New Mexico Human Services Department to be eligible for Medicaid reimbursement.
- Elective surgery.
- Physician charges.
- Radiology or laboratory services provided by for-profit providers.
- Work Related injuries.
- Claims that can be paid through an insurance company.
Applicants receiving health services and submitting a claim, must have been a Santa Fe County resident 3 months prior to the date of service. Proof of residency is required.
- Proof of income must be submitted with the application. Gross income is based on the number of individuals in a household or family, and cannot exceed 80% of median average income as published annually in the Federal Register by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Those who do not qualify based on income, may file an appeal to have their eligibility re-examined.
- Assets are taken into consideration when eligibility is determined. Ownership of more than one piece of real estate may disqualify an applicant.
- Medicaid eligibility verification is needed. If you are possibly eligible, a denial letter must be presented.
- Claimants have 90 days from the date of service to apply with the fund, but individuals are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
- Applications are taken at all provider sites.
We are open to the public during the following business hours: Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm. We are closed for business on Saturdays, Sundays, and county Holidays.
Health Assistance Program
2052 S. Galisteo Street
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501
Claims Investigator, (505)992-9851
Claims Investigator, (505)992-9850
Healthcare Assistance Program Coordinator, (505)992-9848