The Santa Fe County Fire Department would like everyone to have a fun and safe 4th of July! Current fire conditions such as low vegetation moisture content, increasing weather temperatures, and high winds have raised the risk of range fires, brush fires, grass fires, forest fires and structure fires throughout Santa Fe County. Have Fun, but PLEASE, use caution.
Permissible Fireworks are:
• Ground and Hand-held Sparkling Devices
• Novelties and Trick Noisemakers
• Aerial devices in accordance with State and Santa Fe County laws.
• Ground audible devices in accordance with State and Santa Fe County laws.
Purchase fireworks from a reputable licensed retailer.
The Santa Fe County Fire Department recommends the public to attend a fireworks display show whenever possible. If using fireworks, please follow these safety recommendations:
• Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
• Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles
• Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
• Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
• A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities.
• Never give fireworks to children.
• Alcohol and fireworks do not mix..
• Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
• Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
• Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
• Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
And let’s not forget the safety of our pets!
• Don’t bring your pets to a fireworks display, even a small one.
• If fireworks are being used near your home, put your pet in a safe, interior room to avoid exposure to the sound.
• Make sure your pet has an identification tag, in case it runs off during a fireworks display.
• Never shoot fireworks of any kind (consumer fireworks, sparklers, fountains, etc.) near pets.
Penalties and/or Fines:
Any individual, firm, partnership, or entity who violates any provision of Ordinance 1988-3 shall guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction shall be punished by a fine of not more than $300 or imprisonment for not more than (90) days, or both; plus restitution ordered by a Court for damages caused by the violation of this Ordinance.
To Report Illegal Firework Use:
To report the use of illegal fireworks contact the Santa Fe County Regional Emergency Communications Center at 505-428-3710 or 1-800-742-1144. To report a fire call 9-1-1 immediately.